Thursday, October 25, 2012

M.A.D.N.E.S.S.

This would be my follow up to the Evolution of Mara Dyer. I could talk about this book for days. There may be some light *spoilers* if you are very sensitive to that, but nothing huge.
I don't know exactly how I want to set up this post so I'm just winging it. First up just some snippets and pieces that I love way too much not to mention. Mainly I want to point a spotlight on the magnificent, amazing, wonderful brother that is Daniel Dyer. While Noah Shaw is Mr Panty Dropping Grin, Daniel Dyer is the one that would have me as putty in his hands. He is the sweetest person and his love for Mara just melts me. I hate "ruining" things for people but I love this quote of Daniels, so if you don't want to read it don't look at the quote below. But i swear its just the sweetest thing I've ever read.
"I wish she knew that she's really Mom's favorite". . . "I wish Mara knew that I never minded, because she's my favorite too."
I start tearing up every time I read this chapter. So three cheers and some tears for Daniel, my favorite.

Now moving on to my findings and theories. The biggest thing in this sequel is the emphasis Michelle puts on names."There is power in a name," the phrase is repeated throughout the book. So I took the hint and searched the meaning of just about all the names and I must say it paid off. Here is a list of some of the names I found:
  • Mara- Demon, Hebrew for bitter
  • Amitra (Mara's middle name)- Sanskrit for destroyer of the enemy
  • Sarin (Indie Dyer's maiden name)- all i could find on this one is it may be Hindi for "helpful" and that is it also the name of a lethal nerve gas. 
  • Noah- Rest, Comfort
  • Elliot (Noah's middle name) - "My God is the Lord"
  • Simon (Noah's other middle name) - Hebrew for "He has heard" 
  • Jamal (Jamie's full name)- Arabic for handsome or beauty 
  • Stella- Star
  • Benicia (Stella's last name)- Blessed 
  • Jude-Praised 
  • Lowe- Hebrew for Combined or old French for "young-wolf"
  • Phoebe- bright, radiant, pure 
  • Daniel- Hebrew for "God is my judge" 
  • Joseph- Hebrew for "he will add" or "he will enlarge" 
  • Rachel- a lamb; one with purity
So that's what I found, some names I suggest reading into more than others; it's interesting to read the characters with their meanings in mind. You can see how well some things fit such as Noah or Mara Amitra. Some of these meanings I looked up as I was reading this book and I was a little shocked by them when I found them, its so exciting I wrote them all right in the book.
*Mild Spoiler* I Love good symbolism in a story. One of my favorites in Evolution was when Mara and Noah found the other charm, the one just like the one Noah always wears. "They're mirror images," Mara says which set off sparks of thought in my head. Of course they are mirror images because one is Mara's and the other Noah's and while they are one and the same they are each others opposites. Mara destroys and Noah heals, Mara points anger outward, Noah in; Mara is open and thinks magically, Noah is more rigid and comfortable with science. As Michelle puts it "Healer and destroyer, noon and midnight." perfect symbolism.
And that seems to be all I have for today, although I did say I could talk about this for hours so I might be back with more. Until then enjoy my Evolution of Mara Dyer playlist below!!


No comments:

Post a Comment