Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Belong. Long To Be.


Jellicoe Road
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Songs for this book: Over You by Miranda Lambert, Concrete Girl by Switchfoot, Back to the Start by The Summer Set



The pages of this book are laced with sadness. An it is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. Sometimes it makes me cry, and I can't tell if it's because I am so saddened by it or if it is just so beautiful I can't handle anymore. I can't put my finger on it but every word I read about Webb and Tate and narnie give me chills and I this feeling some where between being wonderstruck and utterly disheartened.
You know how in "Because of Winn-Dixie" they describe the candy as melancholy? This book is like that. You don't know how such a thing and elicit such an emotion but you know that it does, and something about this unknown feeling is so beautiful that you can't contain you emotions and you cry. Those candies made people cry, the irony being how can something as sweet and good as candy make a person cry? In this case the irony is how can something do basic as symbols in a page stir such strong emotions in a person?
I can't say I know the answer or that I ever will but I'm glad I know enough to ask the question because the feeling I get reading this book is something that will stay with me forever.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment