Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Songs for this book: All the Way by Allstar Weekend, Damned if I Do Ya by All time Low, and Seventeen Forever by Metro Station
An overall good read. Great characters and constant plot twists. i could go on in my usual rambling paragraph form but why do that when the title sets me up for this fun review?:
Ten Things I liked (... And some that I Didn't)
1) The style. I loved how there were mini chapters within each chapter. made it so fun to read. Granted at times it was annoying to have a current scene interrupted by a "flash back" but they were usually short enough to kinda skip over and go back to later. (bad reader alert! what? like you don't do it, too. I wanted to know what happened so I skimmed!! sue me for being eager.)
2)The concept. Really, this idea is kinda mind blowing to me. As a teenager I know I would never be able to pull that off. for some many reasons we don't need to get into including $, i love my parents, cleaning, cooking. I mean lets face it if I were to live on my own the place would be a mess and I would be 50pounds fatter after only eating pizza and cheetos everyday. But some how these girls pulled it off and convinced me that they did.
3)Character development. As I say a lot, this is one of the most important points in a story for me. And this book really pulled it off. By the end of the book I had conclusive opinions on all the characters, (I really liked this one, he was annoying, damn could I love you any more?)And not onlly that but I felt like I the background of all of them. About Vi and her mom, Lucy and why she was creepy, Hudson's secret, even Corinne who had like 0 dialog.
4) Best friend. Vi and Marissa kinda rock. Vi is kinda off the deep end crazy in a good kick ass kind of way and Marissa is more down to earth and angelic. They provide balance in April's life and I love them both. They are amazing friends and anyone would be lucky to have them.
5) The Hula. At first I was kinda judgmental about the Hula, I mean.. really girls? are you that emotionally unstable that you need to buy a hot tub to invite you boy toys to play in? But then I realized it kinda fit in perfectly with the story. It wouldn't be the same if all of these scenes in the Hula had taken place in the living room on the couch with the TV on. So I applaud you Hula, for being the perfect deep meaningful talk local as well as a trouble waiting to happen.
6) Sob story. This story wouldn't be the same without a depressing and sympathetically sob story background. Let's face it, of April didn't have the background she does she would just be a spoiled rebellious brat and kind of a stupid slut. But that being said, I do feel bad for her. No child should have to go through a divorce. And after that she should't be caught between her parents. And above all else no child should ever, ever feel as though their parents don't wan them. And that is what makes April human, and why we still like her even though she is naive and takes things for granted. I like you anyway April.
7) Parties. Parties are fun. And they make great drama for everyone. What I don't like is parties where everyone gets totally trashed loses all decorum and ruins their lives. Lucky for me I didn't think that really happened in this book. Sure there was that one Rager but it wasn't that bad. truly I liked that Vi and April always had a friend over. I like books with a lot of dialog and opinions. Boring narrations on what people are wearing and yada yada yada no thanks. So A+ on the character interactions and such.
8) Hudson and Dean. Love those brothers. Seriously, who wouldn't love to be best friends with a pair of totally attractive snarky mysterious brothers? One with a total player status and witty comebacks the other quiet with an income no one can explain and cheek bones that are stare worthy and blue eyes that melt you. Cause I don;t know about you but next time I have a Hula party those two are the first ones on my invite list!!
9) The ending. negative.
10) The ending. positive.
So that's my 10 things. I really enjoyed this book and I'm glad i picked it up!
I recommend it especially to Lauren Barnholdt fans, defiantly has a similar vibe.
Note: highlight over blocked out sections to view spoilers!!
View all my reviews